Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy is a cosmetic procedure that uses your own blood platelets to create youthful, smoother-looking skin. Platelet-rich fibrin, or PRF for short, is a substance that is derived from a patient's own blood. It is created through a process of making a centrifuge to separate the platelets and the plasma from the rest of the blood. The platelets are then separated from the plasma and combined with calcium chloride in a high concentration. The resulting compound is then applied to the skin during a microneedling procedure to promote healing.
- Drink plenty of water! Eat a healthy snack and consume at least 64 ounces of water before arriving for the blood draw.
- Take a 7-day break from taking supplements containing omega-3 fatty acids, turmeric, ibuprofen, vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, and garlic.
- Use a pre-treatment for one week can help to reduce post-treatment redness and irritation
- Please don't wear any skincare or makeup to your appointment.
- You'll experience an immediate redness and flushing, which will become better in 3-5 days.
- Your skin could be inflamed, dry, and tight; this should go away in 3 to 7 days. Do not attempt to peel off any skin by yourself, as this may result in lasting discoloration and/or scarring.
- By day seven, your skin should be completely healed.
- Depending on the goals and skin quality of each patient, a course of 3–4 treatments may be needed.
Each patient's situation will be different, and your doctor will discuss it with you during your visits.
Post Treatment Care
For the first few days following your procedure, avoid excessive heat or sunlight. Also, use sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher to protect the treated area and reapply every two hours when outside. You can wear makeup again once the redness has subsided and there are no open wounds. Check the healing progress at your next appointment.
- Makeup should be avoided for 24 hours.
- For 10 to 14 days following the procedure, stay away from exfoliating face washes and products like scrubs, retinol, Alpha Hydroxy Acids (Glycolic, Lactic, Malic Acid, Salicylic), enzyme peels, etc.
- If your doctor suggests so, you can incorporate whitening products (like Lytera 2.0 and vitamin C) into your skincare routine five days after treatment.
- We advise male patients not to shave for a week following therapy.
- Please continue to refrain from taking aspirin for two weeks following the treatment (unless instructed otherwise by your prescribing practitioner).
Skincare Regimen Following Treatment Instructions
Right after your procedure:
- While you are in the office, your doctor will apply hyaluronic acid and a skin-regenerating serum to the treatment region.
- Avoid direct sun exposure.
- Reapply hyaluronic acid and/or regenerating serum if needed.
AM and PM
Cleanse: Wash your face with tepid water and a mild cleanser.
Heal: Apply 1-2 pumps of a serum to speed up the healing process.
Hydrate: Anfisa hydra-balm can be applied to the skin to aid in relieving dryness.
Sunscreen (during daytime): After the procedure, it's important to use a mineral-based SPF of 30 or greater to guard against further skin irritation or deterioration.
24 hours after surgery, you can use clean brushes to apply mineral-based makeup.
If you have any specific questions about the treatment, don't hesitate to ask! We are here to give you all the information you need to get ready for your treatment and are always happy to answer any questions you may have.