Microneedling is a process that uses a series of tiny needles to create microscopic channels in the skin, with the goal of improving skin texture and appearance. This treatment can also improve the appearance of acne scars and wrinkles. Each puncture creates a channel that triggers the body to create new collagen and elastin, which can help improve the appearance of the skin.
- Prior to your treatment, your doctor may ask you to avoid the following: Direct sunlight.
- Tanning beds
- Avoid the use of any topical hydroquinone, retinol, or exfoliating acids for at least 3-7 days prior to the procedure.
- Use a pre-treatment for your skin a week before the procedure to help reduce the post-treatment redness.
- Come for the treatment without any makeup or skincare.
- You'll experience an immediate redness and flushing that resembles a sunburn. This is normal and is expected to become better in 3-5 days.
- Your skin might be tight, dry, puffy, and dry with some minor sloughing. This is typical and should go away in 3 to 7 days.
- Do not manually peel any skin since this may result in hyperpigmentation or scars that could last a lifetime.
- By day seven, your skin should be completely healed.
- Depending on the goals and skin quality of each patient, a course of 3–4 treatments will typically be needed to yield the best results. And for issues like acne scars, 6–8 treatment sessions may be required.
Each patient's situation will be different, and this will be discussed with your doctor throughout your visits.
Post Treatment Care
Immediately after your microneedling treatment, you may resume your normal activities. Your skin will appear flushed and may feel sunburned.
You may experience mild redness, swelling, and bruising in the treatment area, which should resolve within a few days. You may experience some mild tenderness and swelling for a few days after the treatment. You may be instructed to apply an ointment or cream to the area following the treatment. Your doctor may also prescribe a skincare regimen to help your skin recover.
- Do not pick at scabs that may form after treatment.
- Do not apply makeup for at least 12 hours following treatment.
- Products containing alpha-hydroxy acids, retinol, enzyme peels, or benzoyl peroxide should not be used for at least 72 hours after treatment.
- Do not work out for 24 to 48 hours.
- The night after therapy, you could take an anti-inflammatory drug like Benadryl before bed.
- Five days after treatment, you can incorporate lightening products into your skincare routine (such as Lytera 2.0 and vitamin C).
- We advise male patients not to shave for a week following therapy.
Skincare Regimen Following Treatment Instructions
Right after your procedure:
- Once the procedure is over, your doctor will apply a skin-regenerating serum and a hyaluronic acid serum to the treatment area.
- Once you leave the office, try to keep the treatment area clean by avoiding touching the area directly with your hands or clothing.
- Avoid direct sun exposure; use an SPF.
- You can reapply hyaluronic acid and/or the skin-regenerating serum to the area if your doctor prescribes it.
AM and PM:
- Cleanse: For the next 72 hours, wash your face with tepid water and a mild cleanser.
- Heal: Apply 1-2 pumps of the skin-regenerating serum to the area that needs to heal to accelerate the healing process.
- Hydrate: Hyaluronic acid can be applied to the skin to aid in relieving dryness.
- Makeup: 24 hours after, you can use clean brushes to apply mineral-based makeup.
- Sunscreen (during day time): After, it's important to use a mineral-based SPF of 30 or greater to guard against further skin irritation or deterioration.
You can use 30 ml of grapeseed oil with a pea-sized amount of Protect Recovery Balm or Aquaphor to treat excessive dryness.
If you have any specific questions about the treatment, don't hesitate to ask! We are here to give you all the information you need to get ready for your treatment and are always happy to answer any questions you may have. To learn more or schedule your appointment, call Iconic Skin Clinic at (714) 225-5137. You may also visit our La Mirada dental office at 15651 Imperial Hwy Suite 102, La Mirada, CA 90638, or Placentia dental office at 1041 East Yorba Linda Blvd. Suite 101 Placentia, CA 92870.